Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Lucidity - First in a while

I signed up to do a workshop for Professional Development (PD) Days ... a "fun" workshop, not related to teaching or stress or pedagogy or curricula.  I proposed to repeat a talk I gave some years ago on lucid dreaming.  It was a physics instructor-friend who talked me into the first presentation at Cafe Scientifique, a regular public session at a local bookstore.  I said no I'm not qualified, he said yes you are, I said no I'm not, he said yes you are, I said, I have two small children, I can't get away for an evening, he said I'll wait.  He waited, and eventually I gave the talk.

So I have done this once before, successfully, with a room full of people who actually wanted to hear me talk about dreaming and also wanted to share.  A lot of things.  Including, "I had an organ transplant and now I have the dreams of the original owner of the kidney."  Not kidding.  I was blown away by the amount of sharing.

Myself, I have always had a vivid dream life.  Always.  For as long as I have had memories, I have had dreams.  Sometimes I can control them, which makes them "lucid."  A lucid dream is vivid, crazy vivid, colorful, beautiful, fleeting, amazing, so amazing.  I have flown over the Masai Mara and into the stars.  Once I ate asparagus (why not?).

There are ways to "become lucid" on purpose, and I used to do this (or at least try this) regularly.  Getting ready for PD Days I'm trying again, and last night I was sooooo close to being successful.  So so close.

I had a dream where I was at the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and I saw a person in a costume.  The costume had a ribbon (like a bow) where the head should be.  I woke up and remembered the dream and thought, "That was a sign I was dreaming.  There's no way a person could have had that costume on, there was no room for their actual head."  As I drifted back to sleep, I concentrated on re-entering that dream, and I did.

I looked at the costume and said to myself, "That's not real, I'm dreaming."  And I became "lucid."  I told L and K that I was dreaming and they congratulated me.  I was trying to think of something to do, and I considered jumping out the window and flying away.  This is where it fails, completely.  I decided not to, because L and K would get upset if I jumped out the window.  Big time fail.  I did NOT recognize that L and K would not be upset because they were dream-people, not actual people.

Some sound woke me, and done.  I'm close, if not there, and I have a few weeks before the talk.  So here's to a night of lucidity, and patience from my husband as I ask him for the 100th time, "Am I dreaming?"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I was able to sst it on one of these lectures. I have always been fascinated with dreams and it sounds like your professional takes people to new heights. Thanks for sharing, a very good read.

Cindy said...

My husband's dreams were the first time I encountered lucid dreaming. Wish I could have been there for the lecture.

Bullion Jackpot Call said...

Your blog post are really superb.

Best MCX Gold Silver Tips | Best Mcx Trading Tips

Free MCX Trading Tips said...

waoo well written post about Lucidity - First in a while

Thanks,

Commodity Tips Free Trial | Crude Oil Tips Free Trial

DeskBees said...

Services Offered by 3 Aayaam Technologies are : Website Design & Development, Domain Registration & Renewal, Web Hosting & Renewal, Website Maintenance, Website Redesign, Website Search Engine Submission, Logo design, Search Engine Optimization, Photoshop works, Content Management, Online Shopping sites development, E-Commerce websites, Social Media Optimization, Social Media Marketing and Branding & identity.
Visit our website and select the package which suits to your requirement.
website : https://www.3aayaam.com

For more information please contact Shabbir at +91-9131160066 / Email at info@3aayaam.com

Marlon said...

nice sharing..

Mesothelioma
Lawyer USA
Alien gadget
Lets Invest
Free Education Online
Investmen pension loan
Invest mortgage loan
Apple pine apple apple pie
Good Lawyer

https://artemisgh.blogspot.com/ said...

Darwin's early interest in nature led him to neglect his medical education at the University of Edinburgh; instead, he helped to investigate marine invertebrates. His studies at the University of Cambridge's Christ's College from 1828 to 1831 encouraged his passion for natural science. His five-year voyage on HMS Beagle from 1831 to 1836 established him as an eminent geologist whose observations and theories supported Charles Lyell's concept of gradual geological change, and publication of his journal of the voyage made him famous as a popular author.

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr