Monday, April 7, 2008

Welcome to Adult-hood

Back in the day, my sister and her family lived in an apartment complex. She was a stay-at-home mom with a husband and three kids...and no washing machine. I was younger then, and probably had never done a load of laundry, so I didn't really understand what the big deal was. Poor woman. Rain or shine, snow or sleet, she would drag buckets and bags and baskets of dirty clothes (and pockets-full of quarters) two hundred yards across the courtyard to the laundry room. Then she would go back to the apartment to cook dinner, or vacuum, or break up a fistfight. Then she would trudge back to dry, back and forth, back and forth, every single day. She would fantasize about the day she would have a place with her own washing machine and dryer. I'm starting to get the picture.

Yes, we have a laundry room of our own, no quarters needed. But what we have been lacking for years is a good, functional dishwasher. Our old washer was, well, funky. No matter how hard you tried, you just could not load it efficiently. It couldn't really fit full size plates without risking breakage...so we hardly ran it, and used it primarily as a drying rack. This would always confuse guests...wait, you put the CLEAN dishes in the dishwasher? No more, people.

I set aside my Christmas money (thanks, Moms!) and we are now the proud owners of a Kenmore Elite Quietguard Deluxe. M picked it out, and it's lovely. I am sitting on the couch while it washes my dishes. I am happy. I never pictured myself in this position...domestic, chopping vegetables, folding a million tiny pairs of pants. And I certainly never expected that my Christmas treat would be an appliance. But here I am sis, walking a mile in your shoes! At least I don't have to put on my snow boots to do the laundry!

0 comments:

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr